Fort Plain Chapter

National Society
Daughters of the American Revolution

Fort Plain, New York

 

 

The Fort Plain Chapter, NSDAR, was organized in 1897, in Fort Plain, New York. In 2008, the Saint Johnsville Chapter (organized in 1903) merged with the Ft. Plain Chapter. The Ft. Plain Chapter is named in honor of the Revolutionary War fort built in 1776 that become the American Army’s Mohawk Valley Headquarters. In July 1783, General George Washington visited Fort Plain and reviewed the troops.

Our chapter house was originally a mercantile/trading post and residence built in 1786 by Isaac Paris, Jr. Until 1790, it was the largest building west of Schenectady. It saw many guests, including Baron Steuben, Colonial Marinus Willett, and Indian Chiefs Cornplanter and Joseph Brandt. In 1932, it became our chapter house.

The Fort Plain Chapter, is proud to count among its past members Bertha Dunkel Duffy (Mrs. George), New York State Regent from 1938 – 1941. She chose the planting of over 100,000 ‘penny pines’ as her NY State project. This DAR State Forest was rededicated in 2000 and is located in Montgomery County. The chapter meets April through November at a variety of times and days to accommodate the needs of its members.

For membership information, please contact Katharine Brust at katiebyrd8@yahoo.com





The DAR insignia is the property of, and is copyrighted by, the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.

Site maintained by Jan Johnpier. Last updated 21 October 2011.